Tuesday, March 14, 2006

teachers who 'really' teach...

Today afternoon, I was sitting in this chemistry class and I think if I saw a movie in Swahili it would have been a much better use of my precious time. In order to prevent myself from sleeping and falling down from the bench, thus making a scene and waking up the whole class who were peacefully sleeping or doing their own stuff; I decided to take down notes for a change. The last thing on my mind being chemistry. And surprise! Surprise! That wasn’t helping much in keeping me awake. Thus I started writing down this blog entry on a piece of paper to be digitalized later ;-)


I was thinking of the teachers I’ve had over the past 12 years of my school life ( Not that I want to remember the lady with the stick which was pretty much used on me often coz it was so hard not to talk in the class even back then ;-)). There were a pretty weird of teachers I can say…the ones that thought their only job was to teach us stuff from text book, the ones who almost bullied us, the ones who made a total fool of themselves, thus entertaining us in the process, by their boasting, the ones who really cared about us, the ones we really cared about and the ones we couldn’t ever ever forget if the topic ‘teachers’ ever came up etc etc…I was wondering how many of this people while teaching ever realized that they were actually moulding somebody’s future…

Looking back, I had a couple of good teachers. But if I was ever to become one, there are 3 teachers of mine whom I’d be blessed to be anything like….

The first one was a sister from the convent I used to study in. she taught me Malayalam during my 7th and 8th standards, and I’ve my marks to show how much I looked forward to sitting and studying in her class. She made studying all those grammar and Ulloor’s poetry fun and trust me, that’s almost impossible. She was the first one, who made me realize that, ‘hey, teachers are pretty human too’. Until then I was this teeny little girl who totally idolized and worshipped them like gods and would be soo delighted if they happened to smile down on me.


Her classes made me look forward to going to school. And I think she liked me too…that made me like here even more. I remember one day she was asking questions regarding the last day’s portions and I couldn’t answer. She didn’t say anything except give me this look that I haven’t forgotten till now and from that day onwards until she stopped being my teacher I learned my daily Malayalam lessons. That’s the power of a real teacher. Without even saying a word, she had her work done. And she is also the coolest one I ever had. We could ask her about the latest movies she had seen (and she was a nun, remember!) and she used to learn guitar. I still think, she’s the coolest nun to have ever lived! Hurray Sr. Lino…We all love you…

When she left us after 8th std, I remember crying my eyes out…I was so sure there wouldn’t be another teacher I’d love as much…*sigh* ( I still think so by the way)


The second one was the English teacher who taught us during my 12th. I regret to say that I didn’t have that much time to interact with her coz 12th here is pretty hectic and English would be the last thing you would pay attention to all the bloody entrance stuff going on. But still she was pretty cool. And I used to wish that she had taught us early back in 9th or 10th before all the dumb tuitions and stuff began. She was extremely interactive and made us participate in things too and that’s one thing I think a teacher should be able to do.



And third would be the zoology sir I had last year. He was the sweetest sir you could ever find. The only thing I didn’t like about him was how he couldn’t get all the names of girls in class. But still he was awesome. He is one of the main reasons I Love zoology. And he was passionate about his job- teaching and zoology. And when somebody’s enjoying what they’re doing, it shows. It gave his class the special “X” element. He was quite young and so could get us all quite easily. He was damn witty and would tell things from the time he was a student. I was staying away from home at that time and I hated the place I was staying. The only relief I ever had was this sir’s class. The only reason I looked forward to going back to that institution. The only regret I’ve is that I did not get to thank him while I left the institution. I was soo thankful to get out of that place that I couldn’t go there once more.


These three has touched my life and I think has made me at least want to be a better person.

And so they’re what I would call ‘real teachers’. The one who makes you a even better person. More importantly makes you feel like a better person inside.

Hats off to all of them.

One day, if I ever become a teacher, if I ever become half as good as you all, I would consider myself a great teacher.

3 Comments:

Blogger kartoos said...

teachers can touch ur life in a really surprising way...i still rem how among all the tuitions in 12th i used to wait for this mon eve classes by this amazing personality i still worship:-)

7:13 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i won't be lieing if i said Sandy, was the reason i rarely bunked being in school in my 9th.
Sandy, my eng teacher.
Sandy, the gr8st teacher to me.
Everytime she taught(said) something in class she was one of "us" not of airs. That was wat i really liked abt her. She was "the" person, that School was abt during those yrs.

4:50 PM  
Blogger InfJunkie said...

#kartoos,
"teachers can touch ur life in a really surprising way"
yeah, sure they can...though i guess u dont see such great teachers much these days :((
#akhil,
don't we all have some teacher or other we all totally worship...
Three cheers to all of 'em!

6:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home