Saturday, January 28, 2006

What ‘TITANIC’ taught me

I saw the incredible movie ‘titanic’ once again today- after an interval of 6 yrs. Its really crazy how things like a movie make u realize tht u’ve grown up, like this one just did. Ok….time for a flashback….

6 yrs back, while I was in 7th grade, I fell in love (or so I thought then) for the first time…. with Leonardo di caprio. I got tired of my friends singing its praises and decided to see for myself. So my dad, mom, sis and I went to check it out. And…..the rest is history…or shud I say a lot of drooling in my diary for ages. We loved LOVED the movie, not considering the fact tht my mom not being such a fan of eng movies slept thro’ the whole ordeal except for the occasional ‘wht just happnd?’ questions to my dad which made me happy tht it wasn’t me who was sitting next to her. ok, back to the topic….i’ll always remember this as the first movie which made me cry. Ok, after tht theres been a couple of others …damn the hormones!!!

I was soo touched by their love story back then….I remember crying myself to sleep tht night. And I watched the movie some 7-8-9 times again until I decided to put an end to it and too a vow never to see it again unless I really felt it. And so I dint until yesterday. I saw tht the movie was coming on star moves a few days earlier and I cant put into words, but I had to see it…I just knew. So all plans aside, I sat in front of the TV promising myself tht I won’t cry. But who knew??? But what really surprised me is what actually made me cry…

And I could read more into the characters. Trust me on this, I could relate to ‘rose’ a lot. Not tht I’m engaged to some damn millionaire, she’s more like a bird in a cage with golden bars. But like mahakavi ulloor once said ‘ a cage with golden bars is still a cage’. My family isn’t tht strict on me, but once a while I wanna do things at the spur of the moment. And hell, one of the things life has taught me is tht if u r a girl living in trivandrum, u cant go on a trip to some place north east or even nearby just coz u feel like at tht moment. Courtesy to my mother for this statement. I also feel like trapped within my self sometimes, god knows why…. I’d love to feel as free as I can. Back to the movie…so when she saw someone who shared her free spirit (not to forget with lots of charm n good looks) she fell in love, which I’m sure if someone like tht comes along my way, it wont be long before I’m in love too!

What actually reduced me to tears was the scene where a mother puts her two li’l angels to sleep telling a story where they lived for 300 years blessed with eternal youth. Tht really had me…and I have this dumb thing of imagining myself in other people’s place, which contributes a lot to my tears.
So titanic for me stands for the free spirit and never dying love whether its what a mother feels for her children or what jack n rose felt for each other.

I fell in love with the movie while I was a child and now,7 yrs from then, I’ve realized tht somethings never change!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...me another titanic fan :)...and i can imagine the cage u mentioned...but experience tot me to listen to your brain rather than ur heart..so i decided on bcoming practical long back rather than sitting and cursing the society...nyway nice post:)

6:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#anonymous,
titanic fan, huh? cool! and yeah, i do wish i cud be a bit more practical.. .kya karu? yeh dil samajhtha hi nahin hai...:D...glad u like the post :)

3:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

just checking out your archives :)

"…and I have this dumb thing of imagining myself in other people’s place"

then why the damn do we have, "if i were you" statements? :D

that really is a nice thing, one step closer to becoming a real great writer!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home